Casts: Ajay Devgn, Shriya Saran, Tabu ,Rajat Kapoor
Banner: Viacom 18 Motion Pictures and Panorama Studios
Director: Nishikant Kamat
Producer: Kumar Mangat Pathak
Writers: Jeethu Joseph
Music: Vishal Bhardwaj
Release Date: 31st July 2015
Storyline : Desperate measures are taken by a man who tries to save his family from the dark side of the law, after they commit an unexpected crime.
Vijay Salgaonkar runs a cable TV network in a remote and hilly village of Goa. He lives a happy life with his wife Nandini and two daughters. A 4th grade dropout & an orphan, Vijay has worked his way towards success with his sheer hard-work & street smartness in order to provide for his family who mean the world to him. A man of few means & needs; Vijay believes life is to be lived simplistically – his wife, while she loves him devoutly, wants Vijay’s thrifty & miserly behavior to end and wants the world for her family. If there’s one thing that Vijay cannot live without, it is his passion for watching films. Such is his ‘filmy’ obsession that he doesn’t mind staying up all night at his office binging on TV movies! In a bizarre turn of events; a teenage boy goes missing; he is the son of a headstrong & no-nonsense cop; IG Meera Deshmukh and the Salgaonkar family is the prime suspect! Will a humble & middle class man, be able to protect his family from oppression of the powerful? How the family weathers the storm that ensues during the violent investigation forms the rest of the story leading to an unexpected & shocking climax.
Know more about the captain of the Ship, the director: Nishikanth Kamath is an Indian filmmaker. His debut film, Dombivali Fast earned him accolades in Marathi Cinema, as it went on to become the biggest Marathi film of the year. He remade his film, in Tamil with R. Madhavan in the lead as Evano Oruvan, which opened to rave reviews.
He has also acted in Marathi film Saatchya aat gharat. His Bollywood debut project is based upon the 2006 Mumbai Bombings, titled, Mumbai Meri Jaan, which is filmed in Hindi. In 2011 he directed John Abraham starrer Force which was a remake of Tamil movie ‘Kaakha Kaakha’
Facts And Figures:
· Drishyam is a remake of the Malayalam film with the same name, directed by Jeethu Joseph with Mohanlal and Meena in the lead which was indeed a blockbuster.
· Later the same movie was remake in Kannada with the name Drishya in 2014, in the same year it was released in Telugu with the name Drushyam and in Tamil with the name Papanasam directed by regional directors. All the version of this movie regionally done well at box office.
· Jeethu Joseph the writer of this hindi version of the movie had directed the original malyalam version of it in 2013.
· In October 2014, it was announced that Saif Ali Khan would take the lead role and reprise the role played by Mohanlal in the 2013 Malayalam predecessor, but in November 2014, it was announced that Ajay Devgn would be doing the lead role.
· On the announcement of the Hindi remake, film producer Ekta Kapoor sent a legal notice to the makers of the Malayalam filmmakers. Ekta Kapoor has acquired the movie rights of Japanese author Keigo Higashino’s book, The Devotion of Suspect X and her legal team has claimed that Drishyam is a film adaptation of the novel, for which they have purchased rights. However, the film’s director Jeethu Joseph, who will also be directing the Tamil version, clarifies that his film is neither a adaptation nor a copy of the Japanese novel and film.
My Gut Feel and comments:
Going by the fact that this film has already been made in four regional languages in last two years and done critically and commercially well, chances of going its Hindi version wrong seems less. Star cast is impressive as Ajay devgan and Tabu are sharing the screen after long time and that to in interesting roles. The ex-factor is the director Nishikant Kamat who had done well in both Hindi and Marathi cinema is his career. His both hindi directorial ventures Mumbai Meri Jaan and force were decent movies. It has been observed in the past that remake of successful south Indian movies do hold the south Indian touch in its overall presentation which generally do not appreciated by typical north Indian audience. This doesn’t seems to be case with Drishyam as nishikant kamat given it a neutral effect which gives it a mass appeal and will surely boost chances of success of this movie.
By the time of release of Drishyam although Bajrangi Bhaijaan will lead to its third week of release however still it will give a tough completion to Drishyam as currently Bajrangi Bhaijaan doing exceptionally well at box office. Drishyam has not been extensively promoted and going by the scale of this movie it would require strong mouth of publicity to do well at box office.
Overall, going by its interesting story, impressive star cast and swift direction I am expecting a good movie and giving this movie 3.5 star out of 5 stars, four day before the release.